Motivated by Ronald’s ultimate wordpress plugin tutorial at devlounge, I decided that the best way to learn something is to use it in a live project. Armed with my laptop and multiple flasks of coffee, the marathon began on Friday night. My only experience with web-related development so far had been around 8–10 years ago as a kid when, just like everybody else at that time, I was fascinated by HTML and did a “read-through” of HTML 4.0. But I have always been a believer of the theory that a C programmer can program in any language quickly without having to go through the whole manuals. Thus that night bore fruit for me, and by 5:30 in the morning I had a working “Quote of The Day” plugin at my hand with all the features I wanted it to have in its first avatar. Did a bit of polishing last night, fixed a few bugs, and created a readme, and here it is, Mr. shantz-wp-qotd “1.0”, in all its glory, ready for general consumption.
Features at a glance:
- Add quotes to all your posts automatically.
- Widget support – Can also have a widget in the sidebar for quotes.
- Customize and style your quotes with your own text and tags.
- Multiple sources for quotes (paste in admin page, get from file implemented, fetch from web/rss soon to come)
- Multiple patterns for quotes – Random Quote, Quote of the day (all posts display quote of the day), Quote of that day (all posts display quote for their own days)
- Pattern for widget can be different
- Customization for widget can be different
- Add quotes to top or bottom of posts
- Enable/Disable the quotes without deactivating the plugin
- Fetch from web/RSS support
- Custom template tag to add quote anywhere you want
- Custom quote boundary decalarator tags/Multiline quote support (Right now, each quote has to be on a new line)
- Quotes Categories
- Pics support for quotes
- Anything else you want
- File selection
For more details and downloads, go to shantz-wp-qotd. You can also see it in action at the bottom of this post and at the topmost widget in the right sidebar.
[tags]wordpress, wordpress plugin, shantz-wp-qotd, quote of the day, qotd, qotd plugin, wordpress qotd plugin, shantz-wp-qotd 1.0, blog, widgets[/tags]